- RSS Channel Showcase 9536533
- RSS Channel Showcase 3095202
- RSS Channel Showcase 8270236
- RSS Channel Showcase 3844861
Articles on this Page
- 03/03/13--22:16: _Carl Jung: on the b...
- 03/06/13--19:57: _Hieros gamos in the...
- 03/07/13--11:11: _The Holy (inner) Fa...
- 03/09/13--00:00: _Carl Jung: on the c...
- 03/09/13--23:11: _Carl Jung: the herm...
- 03/10/13--23:43: _Carl Jung: bringers...
- 03/12/13--00:18: _Carl Jung: ‘no arch...
- 03/17/13--13:19: _Carl Jung: We divid...
- 03/17/13--23:41: _Carl Jung: “Hermes ...
- 03/18/13--23:31: _Reconnection with t...
- 03/25/13--18:05: _Carl Jung: ‘religio...
- 04/06/13--12:50: _Anima Muzzled
- 04/07/13--11:57: _Ambivalent aspect o...
- 04/08/13--16:32: _Magic Places and th...
- 04/16/13--15:57: _Underworld Mother
- 04/28/13--12:00: _Enveloping, embraci...
- 04/29/13--12:42: _A man who is posses...
- 05/01/13--12:55: _Anima Image: nixie
- 05/02/13--23:25: _Eve spins
- 05/03/13--13:41: _Mother Image: Still...
- 03/03/13--22:16: Carl Jung: on the basic Gnostic typology
- 03/06/13--19:57: Hieros gamos in the drawings of Opicinus de Canistris
- 03/09/13--00:00: Carl Jung: on the coniunctio
- 03/09/13--23:11: Carl Jung: the hermaphrodite & creative union of opposites
- 03/10/13--23:43: Carl Jung: bringers of light, enlargers of consciousness
- 03/12/13--00:18: Carl Jung: ‘no archetype can be reduced to a simple formula.’
- 03/17/13--13:19: Carl Jung: We divide the cosmos to reflect our own inner polarity
- 03/17/13--23:41: Carl Jung: “Hermes was the mystagogue and psycho pomp.”
- 03/18/13--23:31: Reconnection with the Anima Mundi
- 03/25/13--18:05: Carl Jung: ‘religion is a vital link with psychic processes’
- 04/06/13--12:50: Anima Muzzled
- 04/07/13--11:57: Ambivalent aspect of the mother archetype
- 04/08/13--16:32: Magic Places and the Mother
- 04/16/13--15:57: Underworld Mother
- 04/28/13--12:00: Enveloping, embracing, devouring
- 04/29/13--12:42: A man who is possessed by his shadow…
- 05/01/13--12:55: Anima Image: nixie
- 05/02/13--23:25: Eve spins
- 05/03/13--13:41: Mother Image: Still Waters
In Gnostic typology the άνθρωπος ψυχικός, ‘psychic man,’ is inferior to the πνευματικός, ‘spiritual man,’ and finally there are wicked souls who must roast in hell for all eternity.” (Carl … Continue reading
Joakim_Skovgaard_-_Christ_in_the_Realm_of_the_Dead_-_Google_Art_ProjectjennalillaJoakim Skovgaard - Christ in the Realm of the Dead- 1891-1894. US Public Domain. Click to enlarge.
When discussing the Hieros Gamos [sacred marriage] in the Archetypes of the Collective Unconscious, Carl Jung speaks the symbolical drawings of Opicinus de Canistris. He says: “While, in Church mysticism, … Continue reading
Opicinus de CanistrisjennalillaHieros gamos
Carl Jung dedicated many years to the investigation into the nature of the soul. He was one of the patriarchs of the psychoanalytic profession with many years of observing the … Continue reading
Albrecht_Dürer_-_The_Holy_Family_with_St_John,_The_Magdalen_and_NicodemusjennalillaAlbrecht Dürer, The Holy Family with St John, The Magdalen and Nicodemus- c.1512. US Public Domain.
A passage from the Gospel of Thomas in the Nag Hammadi Library reads: Jesus said to them, “When you make the two one, and when you make the inside like … Continue reading
Y AlchemyjennalillaAn engraving from Michael Maier's Symbola Aureae Mensae (1617)
The above images are 15th century alchemical drawings of rebis hermaphrodites, from the Alchemica Collection at the John Rylands University. On the left side of the page we see the … Continue reading
RebisjennalillaRebis, Unknown Author - 15th century. From the Rylands Collection, Alchemica
“As bringers of light, that is, enlargers of consciousness, they overcome darkness, which is to say that they overcome the earlier unconscious state. Higher consciousness, or knowledge going beyond our … Continue reading
J. M. W. Turner, The Angel Standing in the Sun -1846jennalillaJ. M. W. Turner, The Angel Standing in the Sun -1846. US Public Domain.
“No archetype can be reduced to a simple formula. It is a vessel which we can never empty, and never fill. It has a potential existence only, and when it … Continue reading
Uroboros as a two-headed winged dragon. Really, is a Amphisbaena.jennalilla"Uroboros as a two-headed winged dragon. Really, is a Amphisbaena." England, c. 1200. via wikimedia. US Public Domain
“How else could it have occurred to man to divide the cosmos, on the analogy of day and night, summer and winter, into a bright day-world and a dark night-world … Continue reading
William Blake - A Squatted Devil with Young Horns. 1810jennalillaWilliam Blake, A Squatted Devil with Young Horns,1810. US Public domain
Carl Jung often speaks of Hermes as psycho pomp, spiritual friend, or personal guide. He says: From the earliest times, Hermes was the mystagogue and psycho pomp of the alchemists, … Continue reading
Emblem from Symbolicarum quaestionum Achille Bocchi Bologna 1574jennalillaAlchemical Hermes, Emblem from Symbolicarum quaestionum, Achille Bocchi Bologna- 1574. US Public Domain via wikimedia.
Just as a man must connect with his anima in order to know the nature of his Self, so too mankind must connect with the anima mundi to know the … Continue reading
Robert Fludd - The Mirror of the Whole of Nature and the Image of Art jennalillaRobert Fludd, Urtriusque cosmi maioris scilicet et minoris metaphysica, physica atque technica historia, in duo volumnia secundum cosmi differntiam diuisa, from Vol. 1 of The Great Chain of Being- 1624
“religion is a vital link with psychic processes independent of and beyond consciousness, in the dark hinterland of the psyche…” (Carl Jung, CW 9I, para. 262) Reference: Carl Jung, Archetypes … Continue reading
Hans_Memling_018jennalillaHans Memling, The Last Judgment, triptych, central panel: Maiestas Domini with archangel Archangel Michael weighing the souls- 1467-1471. US Public Domain. Wikimedia.
This drawing, titled Anima Muzzled, by Daniel Mace expresses something archetypal about mankind’s repressive relationship with the anima. In his artwork and accompanying poem Daniel address the aggressive tendencies … Continue reading
Anima MuzzledjennalillaAnima Muzzled
“An ambivalent aspect [of the mother archetype] is seen in the goddesses of fate (Moira, Graeae, Noms).” (Carl Jung, CW 9i, para. 157) Reference: Carl G. Jung, The Archetypes and … Continue reading
Elihu_Vedder_The_Fates_Gathering_in_the_StarsjennalillaElihu Vedder, The Fates Gathering in the Stars, 1887, US Public Domain
“The place of magic transformation and rebirth… are presided over by the mother.” (Carl Jung, 9i, para. 157) Reference: Carl G.Jung, The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious – Collected Works … Continue reading
Emil Orlik Japanischer Garten 1904jennalillaEmil Orlik Japanischer Garten 1904, Us Public Domain
“The underworld and its inhabitants… are presided over by the mother.” (Carl Jung, 9i, para. 157)
jennalillaImage of Greek Underworld, Crossing the Styx, illustration by Gustave Doré, 1861.
“Had we not long since known it from the symbolism of dreams, this hint from the Orient would put us on the right track: the enveloping, embracing, and devouring element … Continue reading
Kaliposter1940sjennalillaWith a flaming background that evokes the end of the world (bazaar art, c.1940's) India Public Domain
“A man who is possessed by his shadow…” (Carl Jung, CW 9I, para 222)
Ambroise Frédeau - The Blessed Guillaume de Toulouse Tormented by Demons. 1657jennalillaAmbroise Frédeau - The Blessed Guillaume de Toulouse Tormented by Demons. 1657
“The nixie is an even more instinctive version of a magical feminine being whom I call the anima. Moralizing critics will say that these figures are projections of soulful emotional … Continue reading
Ernst Josephson: Näcken.NM 1905jennalillaErnst Josephson, The Water Sprite, 1882, US Public Domain
It has been said that Eve spins…
Hunterian_Psalter_c._1170_Eve_spinningjennalillaAnonymous Author, at the Hunterian Psalter, Eve spinning, 1170, US Public Domain
“still waters… can be mother-symbols.” (Carl Jung, 9i, para. 156)